Italian Birth, Marriage, Death Certificates
In order to apply for Italian Citizenship through your ancestor, you must obtain a certified copy of his/her Italian Birth Certificate and the Marriage Certificate if married in Italy. Please note that the birth certificate of his/her spouse is required by many of the Italian Consulates in the US, please see our Eligibility Requirements page for details.
Requesting a Vital Record from Italy:
Certified Italian Vital Records are not available online. The Town Halls, State Archives and Parish Churches of the Italian Comuni (Towns/Municipality) keep their records in physical archives at the Ufficio dello Stato Civile (Office of Vital Records). The Registrar of the Vital Statistics office of the Comune in which the event took place is responsible for preparing Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates from the civil registry records kept in the Archives. There is no regional office established that keeps these records. For example, if you need a birth certificate for an ancestor who was born in the town of Gizzeria, in the Province of Catanzaro, region of Calabria, you must obtain the document from the Comune of Gizzeria.
If you are not sure of the exact date of the event (birth/ marriage/ death) we can conduct a Genealogy Search for you. Our genealogist has access to the civil registries of all Italian birth, marriage and death records of the Towns/Municipalities in Italy that have microfilmed this valuable data. today for more information on this service. Please provide the name of the Town in Italy, the type of record that you need, and the approximate year range in which the event took place. We will conduct a complimentary search to confirm that the records are available on microfilm and present you with a research plan and quote.
If you know the location and date of the birth, death or marriage of your ancestor, we can request the following Records from our Italian Comuni:
- Birth Certificates "Estratto di Nascita"
- Marriage Certificates "Estratto di Matrimonio"
- Family Registration "Stato di Famiglia"
- Death Certificates "Estratto di Morte"
Our service includes:
- Preparing your requisition letter for the Registrar of the Stato Civile (Civil Records)
- Procuring the records in the format required by the Italian Consulate for dual citizenship (Estratto per Riassunto/Formato Internazionale), or obtaining a letter of no records found from the Town Registrar
- Unlimited follow-up contacts to the Italian Public Sources made by our Procurement Specialists in Italy, if needed, to obtain the records
- Shipping and Postage to and from Italy
Price For Italian Vital Records:
$120.00 per document
- Typically 6-12 weeks.
- Italian Public Sources will be solicited within 4 weeks by our Procurement Specialist in Italy if your document order has not arrived, and ongoing follow-up is provided.
- Documents received from Italy are reviewed by our U.S. Office for accuracy then sent to you via certified mail
We obtain Vital Records from all of our Italian Comuni. Our Procurement Specialists in Italy are in direct contact with the Italian Civil Records Officials. Extensive Research Services are available for an additional fee in the event that no records are found in the Town Archives.
To Order: The Italian Vital Record Order Form with instructions is found in our PACKET